naturopathic nutritional therapy
Naturopathic nutritional therapy is a combination of functional medicine and naturopathy. Focusing on identifying and addressing the root cause – or more likely causes of the symptoms experienced.
A particular condition can be triggered by many different things, for example IBS may be caused by food intolerance, stress, inflammation, mould sensitivity etc and likewise inflammation may lead to many different symptoms including IBS but also cognitive issues, depression, allergies etc.
Naturopathic nutrition considers the individual’s environment, history, lifestyle, genetic inheritance and uses monitored treatments to bring lasting change. Testing can be a very useful part of identifying these root causes particularly in long standing chronic conditions and Ellen works with Regenerus Labs to provide a wide range of testing.
Ellen will prescribe a mixture of nutrition, supplements, naturopathic detoxification techniques and lifestyle changes to treat your condition, always seeking to treat at a pace that allows your body to return to health with the least invasion
- The Healing Power of Nature– recognises that a part of nature is the inherent, self-organising and healing processes of living systems that establish, maintain and restore health. Thus, the role of naturopathic nutrition is to support this power by identifying and removing obstacles to the body’s self-healing processes.
- Identify and Treat the Causes– illness has a cause; symptoms are merely expressions of the body attempting to defend or adapt itself in order to heal. Hence, covering up symptoms merely makes the problem worse.
- First Do No Harm – naturopathic nutrition uses methods and medicines that minimise the risk of harmful side effects.
- Naturopath as teacher – meaning to share knowledge and encourage an individual responsibility for health, not to foster dependency upon either a therapist or medicine.
- Treat the Whole Person – understanding the unique physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors that contribute to disease and creating treatment programmes for an individual.
- Prevention – as Benjamin Franklin rightly said, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Naturopathic Nutrition can lay the foundations for optimising long-term health through identifying a person’s risk factors and recommending appropriate changes and strategies to avoid disease.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A NATUROPATHIC NUTRITION CONSULTATION
- An initial consultation to review your current health situation.
- A review of your medical history.
- A review of your current diet, medication and any supplements.
- Consideration of your lifestyle, its impact on your health and influence on possible treatment options.
- A treatment plan which includes:
1. Dietary recommendations
2. Supplementation where appropriate
3. Naturopathic techniques for supporting the body’s own detoxification process
4. A recommendation for review and follow-up
- Follow- up treatments will depend upon the case.
Please note that a nutritional therapist cannot diagnose, any recommendations are not intended to replace medical advice. In the first instance, with any health condition, please consult your GP.